Thursday, January 5, 2012

Day 19 (Tuesday 11-8-2011): Riverton Motel 6 to Route 20/26 rest stop


So I do remember what happened today as well when riding and to tell you the truth, it wasn't much.  Wyoming is a lot more boring than I thought.  For some reason I thought Wyoming was mainly forested parks.  Nope - mainly dry, desert-like terrain and endless roads.  Don't get me wrong though - it wasn't bad riding at all - it was pretty flat, the temperature was perfect, and I was able to cruise along at a decent clip without headwinds or mountain ranges to slow me down.  Monday night I had cleaned some clothes in the sink (if you roll them up in a towel and and twist tightly, it will dry them most of the way).  Without really being tired from only about two and a half hours of riding, and doing a LOT of research and planning on determining the best way to get myself, my bike, and all my gear home, I never actually went to sleep the previous night.  However, I never really hit a wall like I do when I've pulled them in the past for something not very exciting such as finishing up all the details, layouts, and printing of a studio project.  I decided it wasn't worth the risk of going to bed for a few hours and sleeping through not only checkout, but another forecasted nice weather day of riding so I stayed up after I finally decided on going the Megabus route and mailing my bike back from Omaha, NE.


My main excitement for the day came when I figured I should take advantage of the reliable internet connection to update my investment portfolio. Before I left on my trip all of my positions had been closed out due to them being called away after selling some call options on the underlying securities.  With my money was just frittering away earning measly interest I added back a few positions and sold some covered calls on them before departing for the day.  One position was a somewhat short term and speculative play due to an upcoming earnings release and I planned on checking in later in the afternoon in the next fair sized town that I was going to bike through.  I set a limit order on it and figured if it didn't trigger I would dump it sometime in the afternoon.  So anyways, I set off for the day and was enjoying the nice, decently warm weather while I continued biking along Route 20/26.  I stopped in a fair sized town and went to log into my account.  An error message popped up saying I was still logged in from another location.  What?!?  I guess I never logged out of my account when I shut my laptop down and for some reason it thought I was still logged in from back in Riverton so it was locking me out for security purposes.  Rebooting, using a different browser, clearing the cache and cookies - nothing worked.  I was stuck with the stock through earnings as they were being released shortly after hours.  Of course there was no cell service to be found either to call my brokerage either.  Hopefully nothing disastrous would happen to my account...

Anyways, with that out of the way but still on the back of my mind (perhaps it wasn't such a good idea to mix finance management with a vacation), I continued on my way.  Along the way I passed quite a few oil and natural gas derricks, one of which could be see for miles in the darkening sky of the evening burning off excess natural gas.  Supposedly the area is pretty rich in uranium as well and there is a decent amount of mining activity in the region as well.  As it was getting dark and I was starting to think of a place to pull over for the night, I came across another highway rest area!  It was pretty much an exact replica of the first place I stayed at a few nights earlier so I snagged the family room and got some much needed rest (after a 90 mile day plus no sleep the previous night, I drifted off quite quickly!).

Today's route: http://app.strava.com/rides/2487849

No comments: