Thursday, January 19, 2012

Day 25 (Monday 11-14-2011): Holdrege to Osceola

Not too much of note happened today. I had around 220 miles to go to get to Omaha in two days so I needed to think about how I wanted to break down the mileage per day.  I was hoping to get as much knocked out today as feasible to make tomorrow as stress-free as possible.  After waking up, eating some breakfast, and bidding adieu to Tim and Bev, I set out on the road shortly after 8AM.  After an hour or so I was back on Route 30 headed north west. In the afternoon I biked through Grand Island which was a descent sized city (with close to 50,000 residents, about twice the population North Platte).


I stopped at the public library for a bit to figure out my plan of attack tomorrow in Omaha with regards picking up the bike box from the bike shop, getting to the UPS store, and then getting to the bus pickup route. After an hour or two I think I straightened everything out and I headed off again. Eventually I turned off Route 30 which was heading north west at the time and got onto the smaller state route 92 which headed due east towards Omaha.  Night fell, but I was starting to get concerned about my mileage for tomorrow in case of a late departure time and/or bad weather (and my need to travel several miles with a large bike box and then another several mile trip carrying the rest of my gear back to the bus departure area) so I decided to push on in the dark for quite some time with my lights.
I finally decided to call it a night after I made it around 130 miles for the day, giving myself a little less than 90 miles to go tomorrow to get to the bike shop.  Off the side of the road I found a bunch of large and closely spaced piles of dirt that I used as a privacy/wind shield and back rest where I made my dinner and then dozed off to sleep in my sleeping bag under the stars.

Today's route: http://app.strava.com/rides/2487838 (I forgot to turn my Garmin back on after leaving the Grand Island library - that's why it doesn't show me going all the way to the start point of tomorrow's ride)


No comments: