Saturday, October 29, 2011

Day 2 (Saturday 10-22-2011): Bike trail to Snoqualmie Tunnel

The John Wayne Trail
It rained pretty heavily the first night and I had to put the tent away wet as it was still raining in the morning. I was pretty concerned about the next night if I didn't make it to my Warmshowers destination in Ellensburg as I figured the inside of tent would be soaked. Thankfully, the temperature was pretty decent and the rain tapered off for most of the day. It lightly rained off and on, but nothing that required putting on rain gear, at least until the end of the day.






Tough, deep gravel switchbacks
The day started off with a tough series of gravel switchbacks to get up to the top of a new trail head. Who knew that the hardest effort to date would be done off the bike? Once up to the top, it was pretty easy going and nothing memorable happened for some time other than the path transitioning into hard packed crushed gravel. My course eventually directed me off the path up quite a steep mountain climb where I saw at the top a T intersection, both stating 'Dead End.' Boy was I starting to get pissed at Google. I decided to continue along the course anyways and see if my luck changed and thankfully I passed a resident of the neighborhood out walking his dog. He mentioned that there were some fire trails that ran under some power lines for a ways and that was probably what I was looking for.
Just a simple obstacle?
Sure enough, at the end of the road there was a fire road that followed some power lines. It was just a short half mile stretch or so but it was quite bumpy. I passed a family out for a walk and then ran across a formidable (at least for me on a 100+ pound bike) obstacle; a gate. I ended up spending five minutes or so removing pieces from my bike until it got to the point that I could hoist it up over the three or four foot tall barrier.

Rattlesnake Lake
After that, some road riding followed for a bit before entering a park system that went around the perimeter of Rattlesnake Lake which provided some breathtaking views. Google/Garmin messed up again as it took me directly into a gated off nature area. A park ranger wasn't sure exactly the best way to get to the John Wayne Trail but suggested heading a few miles down the road and asking at a nearby business. Dejected, I started out and surprisingly within a quarter mile, found the the Iron Horse Trail/John Wayne Trail (not sure the difference) which was my next destination and trail that I would be on for for quite some time!

My plan was to ride the JWT all the way out to Ellensburg, and see what the conditions of the trail were after that. I had been reading online that east of the Columbia River it was mainly suited for mountain biking, but who know what type of cyclists typed up these reviews or what type of tires they were running. The trail through the Cascades was pretty decent – gravel, but pretty firmly packed. However, it was slow going as it was a one to two percent grade. I was averaging under ten miles an hour which was pretty frustrating as there was no reprieve and you couldn't see the grade. I took frequent rests to take some pictures, some of which turned out okay even with the overcast conditions. With a clear, sunny day, the path and the views it offered would be a photographers dream!

Mouth of the 2.3 mile long Snoqualmie Tunnel
Around four, it started raining pretty heavily and to top things off, I got a flat tire. Dejected and angry from a combination of being cold, several days behind schedule, and having to change out a flat while getting the, I seriously debated quitting. The rain tapered off a bit the final few miles when I got to the Snoqualmie Railroad Tunnel and I decided that would be a good stopping point for the day, especially as I was unsure of the condition of my tent and I would have a roof over my head regardless. After attaching my headlight (a 700 lumen flashlight strapped to my helmet), I proceeded to bike through the pitch black 2.3 mile long tunnel and set up camp on the other end. Not having seen anyone in hours and planning on getting up early the next morning, I figured it would be okay to just camp directly on the path in the mouth of the tunnel. Sure enough, my tent was soaked from the previous night's rain. I dried it as best I could with some paper towels and set it up to dry before calling it a night.

No comments: