Saturday, October 29, 2011

Day 6 (Wednesday 10-26-2011): Benge to Colton, WA


Eastern Washington landscape
The next morning I woke up, packed my stuff and headed out. The T intersection that I entered town in went either north or south so I headed south. Five minutes or so in, I realized I had forgotten a water bottle back at the church so I went back to retrieve it. My 6:30AM wake up time turned into a close to 9:00AM actual departure time. Unfortunately, the road that I was on started heading south-west after some ways and it actually intersected with the highway that I chose to avoid last night at the farther away town! I did pass one or two dirt roads, but figured I'd skip them as I didn't want to get lost and I was holding out hope that the road would curve back east. There was another 'lost' ten or fifteen miles...


Steep dirt climb overlooking the valley below
I continued on a main two lane highway with wide shoulders for quite a ways until it started heading more north. I turned off onto a paved road that was making a fast descent through an awe-inspiring valley that unfortunately kept heading southwest. At the first opportunity that I had, I headed south-east up this incredibly steep and challenging dirt climb to the top of the ridge. I pressed my luck as I didn't see a 'Dead End' sign, but it did say that it was closed to traffic from November 15 to March 15 except by permit so that was sort of foreboding... Luckily, after several miles of dirt and gravel roads, a lady in a minivan who passed me while I was stopped making a quick adjustment to my derailleur asked if I was okay and I confirmed that this road would indeed lead me to where I was headed (Lewsiton, ID).



Well that's not good, is it?
I continued on, hit a paved road, and was hoping to make it to Lewiston that night where all I was thinking about was a hamburger or some Chinese food of some sort. Unfortunately, I squandered a good amount of time when my rear fender started rubbing. Not wanting to wear through my tire or listen to it for the rest of the trip, I stopped to check it out and fix it. After removing both of my rear panniers to inspect it more closely, it turns out that both of my rack mounts had broken clear off down at the mounts near the drop-outs and that was allowing the rack to bend slightly laterally, pushing my fender over slightly into the tire! I had noticed some banging noises while going over bumps for the past few days, but hadn't really given it a second thought as I wasn't having any issues. Luckily, between the weight on the rack, the other attachment points, and the nature of the broken pieces providing support for the rack above, it wasn't actually a big deal. I was able to adjust both the rack and fender and carry on. If it has survived so far over some horrid road conditions, I am sure it will survive the rest of the trip through somewhat more infrastructure-heavy eastern states.

Miles upon miles of dirt roads...
I tried to push on for Lewiston in the dark, but I saw a sign for Wi-Fi at the local library in Colton, WA so I stopped to check in and see what type of places there were to eat and sleep in Lewiston. However, after a few minutes of working internet where all I did was read through emails, I got some sort of DNS error and I lost all connection and wasn't able to reconnect. As I had already put on some other clothes, it was getting late (around 8PM), and the fact that Lewiston was still 15+ miles away, I decided to call it a night and I slept under the stars behind the library, eating the rest of the food that I had bought earlier in the day at a mom-and-pop roadside convenience store. Ouch - $15 for two meals that included Ramen and canned food! That would have been a hearty breakfast at a Denny's, a multi-burger lunch at a McDonald's, and a stop at a Subway. Lesson learned – try to search out an actual grocery store to buy groceries!

Today was my first and only 'bad' experience with a car so far as well. While on the highway shoulder at night, some pickup truck started beeping constantly as it was approaching me. Not sure what it was signaling (if anything), or just being an ass (most likely), I pushed over as far to the shoulder as possible, in the process rubbing the rear of my pannier and strapped on sleeping bag and tent against the guard rail, causing me to lose my balance and tip over. I was okay with nary a scrape, bruise, or ripped clothing as I was moving slowly uphill, but it was a dick move by the pickup truck (which wasn't warning against a wide load, farm vehicle closing in on me on the shoulder, or anything of that matter) and goes to show why cyclists don't enjoy getting honked at. Take note my non-cycling readers...

Also, my first 100 mile day, even with a ~3 hour break at McDonalds!

No comments: