Saturday, October 29, 2011

Day 4 (Monday 10-24-2011): Ellensburg to Rte 26.


Day 4 began with a somewhat late start. I didn't leave Mel's house until around 9:45 or so (after some waffles with REAL maple syrup!) and I rode the five miles into town to look for a spare tire and perhaps search out a USB cord for my phone. I ended up picking up a Specialized Armadillo 35c wire bead tire from the local bike shop. That thing was so thick and non-pliable that you probably wouldn't even need to put an inner tube in it! It looked and felt pretty much flat-proof though which I guess is a good thing. Passing by a cell phone store I picked up a Micro-B USB cord so that I could charge my cell phone (I had forgotten my cord back in Philadelphia). Finally, I stopped at the infamous Jack-in-the-Box fast food join (remember the early/mid 90s when there was that e. coli outbreak at the chain?) to try out their burgers (not really any different or better than McD's or BK) before heading out on Vantage Highway. It was quite low traffic and ended it's run down to the Columbia River with a multi-mile, fast, flowing descent where I averaged 30+mph and hit 43mph at one point! Along the way I passed by the Gingko Petrified Forest.

Bridge along a (loooong) gravel road
Crossing the I-90 bridge was quite harrowing as there was no bike/pedestrian lane and absolutely no shoulder. Luckily, I-90 isn't as busy as I-95 on the east coast so trucks and cars were able to switch to the left hand lane to pass with no problem. Once on the other side, I ended up preemptively changing out my cut up rear tire that had flatted twice already and the tube was starting to push through the two patches and two layers of candy bar wrappers again. Good thing I didn't flat on the bridge – that would not have been fun!


Shot up barrel
Salt field?
From there I headed south along the river, passed a hydroelectric plant, went under the old railroad bridge across the river that 'connects' the JWT (indeed closed by a high chain link fence that would have been impossible to bypass) and took a left going east along a gravel road that went through a small, depressed trailer park town in the shadow of a ridge of low mountains. This road went on for the rest of the day, eventually climbing up and over the ridge. I passed by an impromptu shooting range as well as a lot of white, salt-like sandy desert patches interspersed throughout the 'normal' dried brown grassland and shrubs and rocky soil. I only passed a handful of houses and I can count on one hand the number of cars that passed by the entire afternoon. I ended up setting up camp that night at the intersection with route 26 on a short spur that led down to a gated off nature preserve.




No comments: