Monday, November 7, 2011

Day 8 (Friday, 10-28-2011): Kooskia, ID


I slept in until nine something, and with seeing a forecast of rain tonight and having 130 miles to make it through the Rockies to civilization on the other side I figured I'd take the day off. After a week straight of long days in the saddle (not very impressive mileage if you look at it like a serious roadie, but some serious hours each day though) it's probably a good idea to rest up and hit tomorrow fresh for close to 75 miles and 7500 feet of climbing before a long gradual descent to either Lolo or Missoula, MT.

I walked around the town, did some food shopping, and ate a large dinner of rice and sweet and sour chicken and an entire thing of Butterfingers flavored ice cream (the freezer was inside the refrigerator and completely iced over so I had no other choice!) However I did make sure to save some rice and chicken for a quick and hearty breakfast the next morning. I also picked up a loaf of wheat bread and some summer sausage and American cheese to make sandwhiches to eat during the week.
I also discovered the greatest 'energy' drink ever that I am going to start drinking on easy base and endurance rides – eggnog! 200 calories for a quarter cup so you can fit in 1600+ calories in a single bottle. Plus its absolutely delicious. I'm not sure how well it would sit or go down doing harder riding, but it's got a good roughly 50/50 mix between fat and carbs so is perfect for slower riding. I bought a half gallon carton of it and filled three bottles and drank the rest that night and early the next morning. In the evening I watched some TV shows (The Leauge, Sunny, and Sons of Anarchy) that I had saved before I left Philly. I plan on getting up and out the door tomorrow by 6 or 6:30 so that I can make it to a Lolo host tomorrow around nightfall.

No comments: