Monday, November 7, 2011

Day 9 (Saturday, 10-29, 2011): Kooskia, ID to Route 12


Well I didn't get going until around 10 today, and repeatedly searching for my sunglasses throughout my stuff and the house did not speed things along any. After giving up looking for them, I headed out along Route 12. I knew I wasn't going to make it to Lolo or Missoula today given my start time, but that was okay as I hadn't contacted a Warmshowers host there. I was actually making pretty good time as it was a very gradual uphill with no 'kickers' what-so-ever.

It was a great day for riding as I didn't have to keep an eye on my Garmin for directions as I was on the road the entire day. The weather was great as well and there was only a hint of dampness on the road from some rain the previous night.  There was almost no traffic and the views were spectacular. I particularly liked the sign that mentioned 'Winding Road Next 99 Miles" right outside of Kooskia. Supposedly it is one of the greatest motorcycling/driving roads in the region and I can defintely see why. Every few miles (sometimes even several within the course of a mile!) there were national campgrounds, scenic pulloffs, or fishing access points.

Another interesting thing of note that I saw were some cable cars that crossed the river that went over to houses on the other side as there was no road or bridge access for the most part to the other side. At one point, a guy in a car turned around and drove back to talk to me as I was taking a snack break and talked with me about my trip. He was driving west and had talked with other touring cyclists that he had seen along the way.  
As evening approached, I came across a group of women who had pulled over along the highway photographing something in the river. When I saw they were photographing a moose (or elk?) and one of its offspring I pulled over as well and attempted to get a good photograph but it was dark out and the high ISO needed to capture it semi-competently has made it quite grainy.

I talked with them for a bit and they mentioned that there was a lodge a few miles ahead. I continued on hoping to find another one of the numerous campgrounds and sure enough, a few miles down the road I found one (with another one a quarter of a mile further down the road) where I stopped for the night.  As it was 'closed', instead of pitching my tent, I set up underneath the awning in front of one of the bathrooms and called it a night, ready to tackle Lolo Pass the next morning.

No comments: